As taken from the Winnebago, Wisconsin Sheriff's Office Facebook page: Stay safe as you run or walk!
Visit the Department's Web page.
A facebook fan asked us to post some tips for people who run or walk alone. I think these are great suggestions, for anyone, anytime, anywhere. Do you have some others?
- Always tell someone where you are going.
- Stay on well traveled and well lit roads. Don’t take short cuts through woods, poorly lit areas, etc.
- If possible, run with a dog, a group or at least one other person.
- Ditch the headphones.
- Bring your phone.
- If someone looks shady to you, cross the street or go the other way.
- Vary your routes. Don’t be predictable.
- Know where you’re going. Looking confused and lost can make you a target.
- Don’t be distracted. Perpetrators specifically look for people who aren’t 100% aware of their surroundings.
- Consider taking a self defense class. You never know when you might need these skills.
- Have an air of confidence. Walk or run tall with your head up.
- Trust your gut. If something/someone doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t.
- If attacked, do everything in your power to not be taken to another location.